The Mississippi Gulf Coast has some of the most affordable real estate in the country. With that in mind, it may be the year of change for you, whether that means buying a new home, selling your current home or both. Inventory is still low here, making a new construction home more attractive. If moving is one of your New Year’s resolutions, here are a few tips to help make it a reality.
• Determine if it is the right time to sell. Timing is essential when selling your home, and a real estate professional can help provide valuable information to help with your decision. An agent can offer a current market analysis of homes selling near you. These competitive properties will have a direct influence on the selling price of your home. t
• Determine what will happen once your home sells. Whether your goal is
to downsize, upsize or change locations, knowing what you will get from your home sale will help you decide on the next move. Use your current mortgage balance and the real estate agent’s evaluation to learn how much equity you have in the home.
• Prepare your home to hit the market. Take the time to prep before it goes on the market. Simple fixes and fresh paint go a long way in getting top dollar. Don’t forget to clean and declutter. My professional advice: Wash the windows and remove heavy drapery to let as much light into each room as possible. Also, clean your closets, and store what you don’t need to showcase the amount of space provided.
• Identify if it is the right time to buy. Just like selling, take the time to review your financial position and lifestyle changes to determine whether it is the right time to invest in a new home.
• Speak with a lender. To help you stay within the best price range for your home, get preapproved for a mortgage before your house hunt starts. Based on your monthly income and expenses, the lender can help you determine how much you can afford to spend.
• List your must-haves and wants. Now that you have been preapproved, this is the next step before you start looking at listings. Include important criteria like your desired number of bedrooms and baths and preferred location to narrow down your search. Skip the hard work and provide a Realtor with your list to schedule property showings that fit your criteria.
BUYING AND SELLING SIMULTANEOUSLY
• The most common way to tackle this is by selling your current home, and then using the proceeds as a down payment on the next one. When this is your choice, a Realtor and lender can advise you on the next steps. For example, do you qualify for another home loan while yours is on the market? If you are uncomfortable with two mortgages, a Realtor can help you find a seller willing to accept an offer contingent on selling your current home.
Make 2023 a year to remember as you and your family make this important decision together. Whether you stay or go, analyzing the possibilities together is the perfect opportunity for more family time. Happy New Year!