It’s summertime, and the living is easy as the song goes — but what do you wear when the mercury rises to well over 90 degrees? It’s no easy feat looking stylish in these temperatures.
We all know that we can look perfectly put together one minute, then step outside only to look like we’ve been thrown overboard thanks to our wonderful weather conditions. What to do?
First, don’t fret. A few chic essentials can keep you cool despite the Coast’s unbearable heat and humidity. I have a few suggestions:
- Don’t even think about venturing outside unless you’re wearing sunscreen. That’s number one on your summer chic list.
- Flirty sundresses are a must-have item on your list of summer essentials. Summer is the time when you want to dress as light as possible, so no heavy leggings or jeans. It’s just too hot! And for goodness’s sake, no black unless it’s a chic black linen dress.
- Floral dresses are another must. If you are afraid of color, a nice linen floral on a black background may be just what you need.
- Linen shorts are a staple for any wardrobe. Don’t worry about wrinkles; that just gives them character. You only need a white or black pair of linen shorts paired with a colorful top to stay cool and comfortable.
- I love white, strappy sandals and mules. They are ideal for this time of year, but please make sure you have indulged in a long, luxurious pedicure before you step out in those sandals or flip flops.
- Last but not least, a fun straw hat and an oversized straw tote will set you up for the summer. Enjoy!
Brenda Blount, of A Better You Image Transformation, is a seasoned retail and fashion merchandising executive, image consultant, pageant coach and former model with more than 30 years’ experience. Find out more about her at http://muchbetteru.com.