Fall is here, and the Coast has been blessed with the best weather! Leaves are falling, and evenings are cooler. It’s the perfect time to transition your summer closet into a cozy fall wonderland. But before you shop for a whole new wardrobe, consider that your closet probably already contains all the fall essentials you need. Here are my favorite staples to keep you ahead of the trends all season long.
BOOTS AND LOAFERS
We all know shoes are key to completing a fashionable look. Of course, boots and loafers will be big this fall. Some sources say over-the-knee boots are out, and I tend to agree. I think ankle and platform boots are going to be huge. Even Uggs are making a major comeback. Watch for boots with a unique print or heel to get lots of attention. Some of my favorite statement boots are by a brand called Alohas.
I may be biased, but I’m in love with loafers. They elevate anything from simple jean ensemble to a business-casual look. You can even pay homage to Michael Jackson and wear your loafers with some cute socks. Regardless, you’re sure to be comfortable and stylish at the same time.
- Sam Edelman Laurs Lug Sole Loafer, $150, www.samedelman.com
- Free People Zoe Suede Platform Penny Loafers, $168, www.dillards.com
- UGG Tazz Suede Platform Slipper Clogs, $120, www.dillards.com
- Alohas West – Brown and White Leather Ankle Boots, $206, www.alohas.io
HIGH-WAISTED SUIT PANTS
Most of us have a favorite pair of slacks in our closet right now. Keep them right there! Suit pants are here to stay this fall. High-waisted, wide-leg bottoms are at the top of my rotation right now. My favorite pair come from Banana Republic; I can dress them up by adding a boot or a heel. My favorite thing to do is pair them with a graphic tee and sneakers. Playing with a look that represents you is the best!
- Banana Republic Factory Wide-Leg Flannel Pant, $45, bananarepublicfactory.gapfactory.com
- Abercrombie and Fitch Tailored Wide-Leg Pants, $90, www.abercrombie.com
- Zara Pants with Fabric-Covered Belt, $27.99, www.zara.com/us/
Next to fuzzy cardigans, this is the most important seasonal staple you can have in your closet. It’s important to choose oversized sweaters that are comfortable, as well as personality driven. And remember — fall isn’t always about neutrals. Go for color in your sweaters this year. I love how you can throw on an oversized sweater and look effortlessly chic – not to mention stay completely cozy.
- Zara Soft Knit Sweater $47.90, www.zara.com/us
- Nasty Gal Multi- Colored Knitted Sweater, $112, www.nastygal.com
- A New Day Women’s Crewneck Pullover Sweater, $25, www.target.com
The leather trend always returns for the fall, which is just fine by me. It’s a material that never fails, and this goes for all leather items — shackets, jumpsuits, blazers, skirts and more.
- Never Fully Dressed Black Vegan Leather Jaspre Skirt, $120, www.neverfullydressed.co.uk/
- Zara Faux Leather Shirt Dress, $69.90, www.zara.com/us/
- Zara Faux Leather Mini Flared Pants, $45.90, www.zara.com/us/
- Maddie Faux Leather Button-Up Shirt, $91, www.nordstrom.com