Share, , Google Plus, Pinterest,


Posted in:

Do you need commercial vehicle Insurance?

The risks you face as a business owner are vast, from liability concerns and workers’ compensation issues to the possibility that one of your workers could be responsible for an auto accident. If you have staff members who get behind the wheel to conduct company business, you need commercial vehicle insurance to protect your business in the event of a traffic incident. 

The risks associated with business use of a vehicle, whether it is personally or company-owned, often call for higher policy limits and different policy provisions because, as a business owner, you have more to lose. If you or your staff members use any vehicle in your business, you need a commercial auto policy because your personal auto policy typically won’t cover you for business use of that vehicle. You may be able to add a business-use endorsement on your personal insurance, but check with your insurance agent. 

Commercial vehicle insurance, like a personal auto policy, is designed to cover your liability risks and provide compensation for damage to your vehicle. However, unlike a personal auto policy, the commercial vehicle policy also covers you and any other person who drives the business vehicle. If you have employees who use their own vehicles for work related to your business, you need to make sure your commercial auto policy covers those employees and their vehicles. It’s a good practice to request copies of driver’s licenses from your team so they can be included on your commercial auto policy while using vehicles for business, even if just driving mail to the post office. 


Liability: Covers expenses for others resulting from any accident you or an employee causes, including bodily injury, property damage, legal fees and medical payments. 

Uninsured/underinsured motorist: Covers bodily injury and property damage if an uninsured or underinsured motorist causes the accident. 

Collision coverage: Covers your vehicle when another object or vehicle causes damage. 

Comprehensive coverage: Covers “other-than-collision” perils like weather damage, theft and vandalism. 

The bottom line is your business needs a flexible, tailored commercial vehicle insurance policy, and it is important to ensure your policy adequately covers your specific business uses and risks. 

Angelyn Treutel Zeringue is president of SouthGroup Insurance Services, a CPA, PWCAM, CBIA and licensed Trusted Choice Insurance agent. Reach her at, (228) 385-1177 or 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *