Growing up in Ponchatoula, Louisiana, we always looked forward to strawberry season. Many of my relatives were strawberry farmers, and although that time has passed, it is still as special to us as ever. Our berries are said to be the best, and I hope that you will one day be able to enjoy them. Last year, I made these strawberry shortcake crumble bars, and they were a total hit. Bring them to work, make them for the kids’ class treats or simply enjoy them at home.
- 1 cup (two sticks) softened, unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice (for cream cheese mixture)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (for cream cheese mixture)
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 cup plus ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle, beat the butter and brown sugar on low/medium. Mix until creamy, about four minutes. Scrape the sides of your bowl.
- Add the egg, beating until just combined.
- Add flour, salt and vanilla until your dough forms.
- Add about three-quarters of the dough to your pan, and press it down.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until it is a light golden brown. Allow it to cool in pan (completely!)
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Add the rest of your dough, while crumbling, onto the cookie sheet.
- Cook for about eight to 10 minutes, until nice and golden. Allow it to cool and set aside
- In a clean stand mixer bowl, still using the paddle attachment, add the cream cheese; beat it on medium high until nice and smooth.
- Reduce it to low, and slowly add your confectioners’ sugar (about a quarter of a cup at a time).
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a clean stand mixer bowl, this time using a whisk attachment, beat heavy cream on medium high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold heavy cream mixture into the cream cheese mixture carefully.
- Fold in chopped strawberries.
- Spread evenly into cooled pan on top of the crust. Add the shortbread crumbles on top of cream cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight (or at least two hours) uncovered.
- When completely cooled, you can carefully pick it up by the parchment paper and cut into servings
Make it cute!
Add freeze-dried strawberries
Cut into cute shapes or triangles